Nutrition and Your HeartFebruary 5, 2013
Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention MonthMarch 19, 2013
Spring is almost here, and spring cleaning is something many start to anticipate. How about spring cleaning your health? Here are 5 tips to jump start your spring cleaning.
- Get a physical. If you plan to play a sport in the spring or fall, or if you want to start a new physical activity, it is important to get a physical. Your doctor will tell you if your body is healthy enough to take on a new activity, and how to start a new sport in the safest way possible. If you are unable to schedule a physical with your primary care physician, RAHS school based health clinics provide physical exams and sports physicals. Visit http://www.a2schools.org/rahs/rahs_home to print off the sports physicals forms, and contact your schools RAHS clinic to schedule an appointment.
- Bring your workout outside. Spring is a great time to get off the treadmill and take a run or walk outdoors. You can also hike, do yoga, play tennis, jump rope or continue any of your usual indoor activities while also getting fresh air and vitamin D from the sun. Remember to protect your skin and wear sunscreen.
- Drink Water. Replace soda, juice, or other sugar sweetened beverages with water. Drinking water helps eliminate toxins from the body, and also is important to improve muscle function. Add lemon, cucumber, or citrus fruit to give plain water some flavor.
- Give your kitchen a makeover. Eliminate processed foods, expired foods, and food that lack nutritional value (chips, cookies, candy). Replace them with fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low fat dairy. The changing temperatures allow for more fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Visit a farmers market. A great way to stock up on fruits and vegetables, and also support local farmers is to shop at farmers markets. Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti both have farmers markets available.
Visit http://www.growinghope.net/programs/market or http://www.a2gov.org/government/communityservices/ParksandRecreation/FarmersMarket/Pages/FarmersMarkethome.aspx for locations and hours of operation.
Try these 5 tips to spring clean your body, and go into summer feeling healthy and refreshed.